Sacred Heart, Moreton
The Cross Moreton, CH46 9QB
“New £63,000 church - A great day for Moreton”
It was a great day for the Roman Catholics of Moreton, Wirral, when their beautiful new £63,000 church was blessed by the Bishop of Shrewsbury, Dr John A Murphy. It was, said the Bishop, a day of great rejoicing because they had surmounted tremendous difficulties and overcome them.
He recalled the days 40 years ago, when Moreton was a bungalow and caravan town.
There were few Catholics in Moreton in the days when it was a quiet Cheshire village. Then the place consisted of two or three farms, cottages and an inn or two. Moreton was at that time part of the parish of St Joseph’s Upton.
One of the Parish Priests, Canon Dallow, acted as chaplain for various school camps that were held by the shore in the summer months each year in connection with Fr Berry’s Homes Camp. He was succeeded by Fr O’Connor.
The beginning of Moreton as a separate parish is closely associated with these school camps. Through them, Catholics had the opportunity of attending Mass only during the months of June, July and August. For the remainder of the year they had to make their way to Upton where they were provided with hot drinks to sustain them on the journey home.
After the First World War, Moreton developed rapidly. It became an all-year-round camp for those who couldn’t obtain houses elsewhere.
Bungalows, caravans, tents, disused tramcars and buses appeared everywhere as homes between the railway and the shore. Among these dwellers was a high percentage of Roman Catholics and, in 1921, Provost Barry, of Our Lady’s Birkenhead, sought to establish a permanent Mass centre and a wooden hut belonging to a cafe was pressed into use.
This arrangement continued until land was obtained in Upton Road and a temporary church erected and opened in 1923.
The little church, designed by Bishop Singleton and built for £1,200 was dedicated to the Sacred Heart and has served Moreton as its parish church until the present day.
The First Parish Priest, Fr Griffin, was appointed in 1924. For several years he served on Wallasey Council and an avenue is named after him.
When Moreton became part of Wallasey in 1928, the ramshackle dwellings that had earned Moreton the name “Bungalow Town” were swept away and new housing estates were built.
It fell to Fr Gerard, who succeeded Canon Griffin, to provide the now large Catholic community with a school.
The tremendous leap in the Catholic population of Moreton, from a handful to 2,000, meant that the little, temporary church in Upton Road, became too small for the needs of the parish.
In recent years, to accommodate increasing congregations, it has been necessary to hold Masses in the church and also in the schools.
It became a matter of anxiety to find a site for a new church. Most unexpectedly the site near Moreton Cross known locally as Smith’s Farm was secured in 1949.
Extracts from the Evening News, Thursday 27 June 1957
In the early part of 2000s the Diocese released money to allow the Sacred Heart Church to be refurbished.
David Ireland, the Diocesan Architect, undertook a sensitive re-ordering of the building to provide a liturgical space for twenty first century worship.
The Parish is served by two schools:
The Sacred Heart
Catholic Primary School
The Head Teacher, Mrs Margaret Jackson, can be contacted on
0151 677 1091
St Mary's Catholic College
The Head Teacher can be contacted on
0151 639 7531