Our Lady of Lourdes, Leasowe
Gardenside, Leasowe CH46 2RR
The first Parish to be dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes in the Shrewsbury Diocese came into being on Sunday, February 3rd, 1957, when the Parish Priest said the first Mass in the hall of the Birket Infants School. The Mass centre had been started some eighteen months previously by the English Martyrs' Clergy.
For the time being, Father O'Brien was given accommodation with the clergy of the English Martyrs, Wallasey, where Canon Coughlan was hospitality itself. The Parish was formed from both the English Martyrs, Wallasey and the Sacred Heart, Moreton, the lager slice coming from English Martyrs. In April 1957, a house was bought on the Leasowe estate for a temporary Presbytery, where daily mass was said and the Sanctuary lamp was lit.
Owing to the number of children in the parish, His Lordship thought it wise that priority should be given to a Primary School in our building programme. In view of the fact that a school building date could not be predicted, His Lordship decided we should go ahead with a Church and Presbytery and Arthur Farebrother and Partners, of Manchester, were commissioned to draw up plans.
A site of two and a half acres had been reserved for our purposes by the Local Authority, and negotiations were commenced for its purchase in May 1958, negotiations which proved to be a trial of patience. Finally, by the end of 1959 the land came into our possession for a sum of £ 3,000, except for a small strip of frontage which was acquired by March 1960. The builders Tysons Ltd, of Liverpool, moved onto the site and the great work began. Owing to the bad bearing quality of the land, extensive piling was necessary to a depth of 30 feet which added well over £ 7,000 to the estimated cost. His Lordship blessed and laid the Foundation Stone on Saturday October 5th.
Now it stands, a pleasing edifice built on classical lines, its tower looking out over the Irish Sea.
Extracts from the Diocesan Year Book for 1962
In 2010 the church was completely refurbished and a modern community centre established at the rear of the church. The Community Centre provides a valuable resource for the school and the local community.
To create a new liturgical space with full disabled access, the church was turned round to face the rear of the building. This has provided a modern worship space with dazzling natural light, highlighting the fine architectural features of the building.
The Parish is served by two schools:
The Holy Spirit Catholic & Church of England
The Head Teacher, Mrs Joanne Cartmell can be contacted on
0151 638 5180
latest Ofsted Report .... click here
2016 Ofted framework Review
by the Diocese of Chester ...... click here
The school welcomes children from the age of 3years and Before and After School Clubs are available.
St Mary's Catholic College
The Head Teacher Mr Tony Boyle can be contacted on
0151 639 7531